Dill is a plant that yields both a seed-like fruit and leafy growth. The fruit is called dill seed or dill and leafy growth is called dill weed. This plant is elevated having a height of 3ft and it has feathery leaves. The color of its flower can be white or yellow. Dill oil is an essential oil extracted from the seeds or leaves/stems (dill weed) of the dill plant when it is moderately dried or unsullied and steam distillation method is used for it and its botanical name is anethum sowa which is a herb and it is found in southwest Asia.
Dill essential oil is known for its grass-like smell and its pale yellow color, with a watery viscosity. It has a strong pungent flavor.This oil has been used for many years for its medicinal properties. It was used for the first time as a pain killer in 1500 BC by Egyptians.Then it was used by Romans and Greeks to settle down their body and mind. If we place the fends of this herb upon the eyelids then it can result into serene sleep.
Some people even believe that dill can be used to control weather, that it could part thunderclouds. But its major use is in medical field.
- SYNONYMS: Dill seed oil, Dill oil Indian, Anethum graveolens
- BOTANICAL NAME: Anethum graveolens
- PART USED: Seed
- COLOR: Colorless to pale Yellow
- VISCOSITY: Watery Viscosity
- PERFUMERY NOTE: Pleasant & Characteristics
- SHELF LIFE: Two Years
- DENSITY: 0.895-0.910
- REFRACTIVE DENSITY: 1.479-1.493
- OPTICAL ROTATION: +70° to +80°
The Medicinal benefits of dill oil are:-
- It is a remedy for stress and tension headache. If there is excess sweating because of nervousness than it can be eased through it.
- The children who are suffering from colic and other digestive problems can be treated by gripe water which is made from fresh dill herb.
- If this oil is mixed with lotion or massage oil then it can be used to heal wounds. This mixture can also be applied to the skin.
- If this oil is taken internally than it can soothe gas-related intestinal problems.
- If we cook with dill oil then it can add flavor to dishes.
- It stimulates the flow of digestive juices and prevents the microbial infections that causes diarrhea.
- It also fights against fungal infections in the body and bacterial infections in the mouth.
- Chewing dill seeds or leaves cleans the teeth and leaves breath smelling fresh.
- It is not good for pregnant women but after birth it help in stimulating production of breast milk.
Uses Of Dill Oil:-
- Gripe water is often made of the fresh herb and given to babies and children for colic, or other digestive disorders, but the dill oil should not be used for this purpose, as it is too powerful.
- Dill essential oil helps to overcome the feeling of being overwhelmed and is also helpful for digestive problems in adults, easing flatulence, constipation and hiccups.
- It eases the mind, calms headaches and helps with excess sweating due to nervous tension. It can also stimulate milk flow in nursing mothers, while promoting the healing of wounds.
- Dill Seed is sometimes applied to the mouth and throat for pain and swelling (inflammation)
- In foods, dill is used as a culinary spice.
How to use Dill Oil:-
- Essential Oil
- Relieving stomach cramps
- Treating flatulence
- Supporting the immune system